Tuna Lawsuit (Hendricks v Starkist Co.)
- Learn more about the class action lawsuit filed against the StarKist Company
- The settlement provides cash or vouchers that can be used to purchase SunKist products
- In order to receive a settlement a class member must file a claim on or before June 20, 2019
Class members claim? The lawsuit claims that StarKist violated the law when they under-filled certain 5 oz. canned tuna products. Tuna Lawsuit attorneys state that StarKist filled certain cans with 2.81 to 3.11 ounces of tuna when they should have contained 2.84 to 3.23 of the healthy fish.
Who can file a claim? Class members in the Tuna Lawsuit are defined as anyone in the US who bought a 5 oz can of any of the following StarKist products:
- Solid White Tuna in Oil
- Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- Chunk Light Tuna in Oil
- Solid White Tuna in Water
StarKist has agreed to a settlement fund worth 12 million US Dollars (8 million will go towards cash settlement while 4 million will go towards voucher settlements). Tuna Lawsuit class members who receive vouchers can expect the vouchers to be in the amount of $25 or $50.
Tuna Lawsuit Notes
- StarKist has hired to the law firm of Hogan Lovells LLP to represent their interest
- Class members will be represented by Bursor & Fisher, P.A.
- Any objections to the Tuna Lawsuit settlement must be signed, mailed, and postmarked by June 20, 2019
- Hendricks v. StarKist Co. is case number 13-CV-00729-HSG
- Questions about the lawsuit or settlement should not be directed to StarKist (please dial toll-free 1-888- 643-6376 for any questions)
- A settlement claim form is available online
The court will hold a fairness hearing on June 17, 2019 at 2:00 p.m at the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 450 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102, Courtroom 15, 18th Floor. Class members in the Tuna Lawsuit ARE NOT required to attend this hearing in order to claim a settlement payment or voucher from SunKist. Who knew a little can of Tuna could cause such an uproar.